Job Title: Staff Attorney
Reports to: Co-Director / Supervising Staff Attorney
The Staff Attorney works in the Legal Department of ANWOL with the goal of reducing the legal burdens placed on formerly incarcerated people as well as lowering the barriers to employment faced by formerly incarcerated people. The available position will specifically focus on the Re-entry Legal Clinic, the largest reentry clinic in Los Angeles County, and individual representation of clients.
This position is geared towards those with 0-2 years of practice experience, although others will be considered. This position will be based in our Los Angeles or Montebello office, to be determined. For the duration of the COVID-19 emergency, this position is remote.
Re-Entry Legal Clinic:
• Help manage the largest re-entry clinic in Los Angeles County, including advising clients, clinic administration, research, documentation, and supervising and training volunteers; expectation of managing administration of the clinic within 1 year
• Complete and file petitions and motions arising from clinic
• Represent clients in criminal court proceedings for petitions arising from clinic
• Field questions regarding the Re-entry Legal Clinic and contact courts regarding petition follow-up
Other Individual Representation:
• Represent clients in the pursuit of the reinstatement of rights or the removal of barriers to employment and other benefits
• Cases include applications for occupational licenses, clean slate remedies, civil litigation related to the department’s goals, termination of probation, and other related matters as may arise
• Conduct investigations, collect evidence, develop materials related to cases
• Represent clients in administrative proceedings, including pre-hearing filings and negotiations, and in-hearing representation
• J.D. and admission to the California bar (pending admission will be considered)
• Understanding of the population to be served
• Ability to maintain accurate and organized records
• Strong communication, logic and problem-solving skills
• Self-motivated and able to set priorities and manage a variety of tasks
• Ability to work some weekends and evenings for legal clinics
• Regular access to a personal vehicle; some travel to local courts required
Salary and benefits: Competitive starting salary based on experience, with medical, dental and vision insurance benefits, life insurance, and 403(b) retirement plan.
Applications should be received by Friday, May 28, 2021, but will be considered until the position is filled.
Formerly incarcerated individuals are encouraged to apply.
Apply by sending cover letter, resume and writing sample to: email@example.com