|A New Way of Life Reentry Project (ANWOL) advances multi- dimensional solutions to the effects of incarceration:
• We provide housing and support to formerly incarcerated women for successful community reentry, family reunification and individual healing.
• We work to restore the civil rights of formerly incarcerated people.
• We empower, organize, and mobilize formerly incarcerated people as advocates for social change and personal transformation.
Since our founding in 1998, over 1,200 women and children have found safety and support in our safe homes. Over 400 women have been reunited with their children. Since its inception in 2007, our legal department has trained more than 400 volunteers, helped over 3,400 individuals, filed more than 10,800 post-conviction relief petitions, and won successful outcomes in 85 percent of those cases. Those services have helped enhance job opportunities by expunging criminal records and offering access to occupational licenses. As a result of our leadership-building activities, over 200 women have received training through our Women Organizing for Justice and Opportunity (WOJO) Leadership Lab. Hundreds more have been educated and empowered to speak in advocacy around issues that directly affect their lives.
The Communications Manager will join ANWOL’s Management Team and will serve as ANWOL’s senior communications staff and will expand and deepen ANWOL’s Testif-i project. The Communications Manager will manage the creation, organization, and execution of internal and external public relations strategies, with the goal of acquiring more advanced recognition, promoting projects, and establishing leadership throughout the industry. The Communications Manager will oversee brand integration and work to define, coordinate and execute media relations strategies, serving as a key information source for all media contacts. This person will work as an integrated member of our management team to creatively promote a positive public image of A New Way of Life Reentry Project.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
Serve as the lead on ANWOL’s Testif-i project, developing and managing content, marketing, vendors, and internal communication.
Grow and manage the media list, build targeted media relationships with journalists in national, regional, and local media outlets.
Prepare and update media kits.
Develop compelling stories to highlight ANWOL’s work.
Write clear and compelling press releases and by-lined articles.
Field media questions and pitch stories to both national and local media.
Oversee day-to-day management of websites and social media platforms.
Manage and grow social media presence for Testif-i and ANWOL.
Lead the research, planning, and implementation of the longer-term development of websites and social media to ensure they continue to achieve their objectives.
Create social media marketing objectives and goals.
Coordinate the production of all internal and external communications, publications, and materials maintaining consistency in content, appearance, and format. This includes donor communications, proposals, and educational materials.
Represent ANWOL in various public roles including media relations, legislative testimony, and presentations.
Develop, implement, and maintain a “style” in all ANWOL communications.
Develop, implement, and maintain, in collaboration with external consultants as required, strong ANWOL visual branding.
Develop and maintain a photo library for use across a range of communication forms.
Design production materials and promote ANWOL events.
• Familiarity with mass incarceration and commitment to social and racial justice.
• Bachelor’s degree or 3-5 years’ experience in communications, public relations, or related field.
• In-depth knowledge and understanding of social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
• Possess functional knowledge and/or personal experience with WordPress.
• High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project Management).
• Knowledge of Prezi and Adobe InDesign.
• Proven ability to meet deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
• Must be a confident communicator and presenter.
• Strong writing, editing, proofreading, layout and design, professional printing/publishing skills, including ability to present concepts verbally.
• Superior project management and time management skills.
• Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management.
• Availability to work occasional evenings and weekends.
Competitive starting salary based on experience, life insurance, and availability of medical, dental and vision benefits.
Terms of Employment:
Candidate must live in the Los Angeles region, and have regular use of a personal vehicle; some travel required.